Sunday, September 30, 2012

The next morning

So my allnighter went well, though I don't think I can call it an allnighter. I felt the need to be cozy warm and do something else than paint around 11 o'clock, so I opened the sofa bed and started looking up artist residencies and grants. I found so many opportunities within the little time before I decide to 'rest my eyes'... It is 9 AM and I just woke up.

Yet, to be in this environment in my waking moment has inspired me to stay today, and paint some more. It is a little chilly in here ( yeah, the heating system is down), so I changed into my extra tee-shirt and my extra sweater ( a very old black turtleneck I stole from my mother; it is ugly, loose, and so unflattering, but so cozy. I just can't get rid of it. ), as well as one of my scarves ( I have millions...) and off I go for another creative morning! I guess I found a new way of stimulating my creativity: getting out and changing my ordinary schedule.

We all have our triggers for our creativity; many artist and designers will confirm this. I personaly love this series from freelance designer Marc McGuiness. It adresses time management, creative rituals, and so many other tricks to make it possible to thrive as an artist. I love how he talks about this writer who needs a specific type of pen with a specific type of paper to write novels. This got me thinking about what my ritual was; I think I don't have a defined ritual, which might be the reason these days, my creative discipline is a little shaky! I remember I use to go get coffee at a certain time everyday, and then do a little doodling, later starting on the painting. But really, that is it. Will I have to start pulling allnighters? Have a sleepover ritual?

Anyway I'll think about it. Right now, my fingers are full of the ' get-painting-you-lazy-human' ants.




1 comment:

  1. Je n'ai pas vraiment de rituels. Parfois, j'en ai. D'autres fois pas. Or j'en étais venu à considérer que je n'étais pas productif, que je ne m'avançais pas. Mais il faut être clément envers soi-même. Prends du recul, et regarde tout ce que tu as accompli, sur une période de temps de ton choix, longue de préférence: six mois, un an... Est-ce satisfaisant ? As-tu fait beaucoup de choses ? Souvent, c'est étonnant de constater tout ce qu'on a pu accomplir. Moi qui croyais n'avoir rien foutu, sur le plan littéraire, lors de mes vingt-sept ans, j'ai été stupéfait lorsque j'ai fait le bilan de mes accomplissements.

    ReplyDelete