Sunday, July 29, 2012

Obey your body and mind, and your body will obey you


We artists are very passionate individuals. Most of us spend hours, if not all our free time in our creative bubble, and we love it. It takes a great deal of discipline and work to make it as an artist, especially if you have other passions or another occupation.

I must say I sometimes overindulge the energy I have because I want to paint. Exhausted because I painted every night, I end up sleeping all week-end when that’s really the time I should be painting. Two full days are often more productive than a set of short creative sessions.

When I’m exhausted, especially mentally, I can’t paint, as many of you, I’m sure.  My personal challenge is to accept my human status and listen to my body. When he says sleep, I should go.  When he says stop and relax, I should go.  I need to accept I sometimes can’t paint.  This had me thinking about what would be the best painting schedule for me. How could I paint a reasonable amount of time per week, at least enough to call it a second career, having a full time job and a life?

To me, Saturday is sacred Nothing-to-do Day. I sleep in, I do my laundry, go out with friends: I live my life.  I love to bike ride, so if the sun is out, so are my wheels! Saturday is my day. No work, just play. When I was in highschool, I had to take a class about time management. It was the most boring thing ever. The only thing I remember from that class is you need to keep one day off in your schedule whatever you do. I wasn’t sure what the reason was at the time. Now I know it’s the only way to keep  your sanity. Besides, working 5 days a week and then going to your studio 2 days is a 7 day work week.  Even if art is fun, it is work. I found myself to be much more productive if I painted only on Sunday; relaxed and refreshed, I can paint for hours. I ususally produce more work than if I had went to the studio the day before as well.  Saturday is the last day of the week.  Waste it.

I’ve tried many other tricks: getting up super early, going to bed later, going to the studio straight after work, going back home for supper after work and then going to the studio, not painting all week but painting all weekend... It is a hassle. Yet, the best schedule is the one my body dictates: if I feel the energy, I go to the studio. Period. I’ve also noticed getting myself physically at the studio is often the hardest part. Just like creating a picture: the hardest part is to start.  As for getting up earlier, it is a battle; my biological clock wakes my mind at a certain time, wether I am physically awake or not. To feel good, I need at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep.  And still, not painting all week is just too hard!

I read somewhere that if you are an artist, you should go to the studio everyday, even if it means you’ll just sit around for 20 minutes. This works to an extent. That’s how you get yourself physically to work; going to the studio, and then telling yourself: ‘ Hey, I’m here, so why not do this little thing.’. That usually gets me going for hours.

It all comes down to knowing yourself and your body. The more you do, the better your art schedule will be. However, you need to be disciplined enough to stick to it. I’ve had those hassles, but it’s worth finding the one method that works for you, and finding your creative ritual ( which I will discuss in another post).

Got to let go of my computer. I’m leaving for the studio. 

2 comments:

  1. Même combat! Alors la solution serait le jour du sabbat... Ou peu importe que ce dernier soit un dimanche ou samedi : en autant qu'on ait un jour off...

    La semaine, qu'en est-il ? T'adonnes-tu à des activités créatives ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'y vais si je sens que j'ai l'énergie pour le faire. C'est tout. Il y des semaines où j'y vais tous les jours, et d'autres que je suis tellement fatiguée que le lit est plus intéressant. En somme, il faut accepter son rythme biologique.Je ne parle pas ici du rythme d'une journée spécifiquement, même s'il est important, mais plutôt du rythme dans un mois aussi. Nous sommes des animaux qui sont réglés aux hormones et qui vivent en accord, croyez-le ou non, même dans un environnement urbain, avec notre environnement.Notre corps, qu'on soit homme ou femme, obéit à ces influenceurs chimiques et physiques; c'est notre condition humaine qui nous rattrape. Et si le corps n'est pas bien, l'esprit part en cavale, je n'apprends rien à personne. Souvent, les explications les plus simples sont les plus pertinentes.

    Oui, c'est le jour de congé qui fait la différence. C'est ma façon de m'assurer de recharger la batterie.

    ReplyDelete